Sunday 21 February 2010

Relaxing Tunes?

Well, I have had 10 days off work to de-stress (doctors orders) and as always happens when not at work, I have not had time to do half the things I planned to. I was going to write more blogs, finish those books I have started, watch a few DVDs. Of course I did none of that. But where does the time go, seriously? I know I met a few lovely friends for lunches and drinks and visited my family, but 10 days just gone, like that!

I did try to make a playlist from my iTunes library of relaxing tunes. I advise anyone who has this idea, be careful. Trawling through thousands of tracks can throw out a few surprises and have a bit of an unexpected emotional response. I know I am not "old" in that I am not a pensioner (I am 29), but hearing music from 15-20 years ago and remembering it being released into the charts, made me feel really old. It's not all bad, some tracks have great memories...


For example, this song is filthy and I love it. This is the song that people "pulled to" in the rock clubs I frequented when I was 17/18, if you were going to make a move it was now or never once this song was on. Ah, the memories.


This song is a mixture of feelings for me, it is a beautiful song and rather sad, but also it is on the soundtrack to Tank Girl, which I know loads of people hate because it is such a stupid movie, but I love it. It has Ice T as a mutant kangaroo, reincarnated from a policeman, what is not to love! Seriously do rent it, it is ridiculous I know, but it is funny and has some great lines in it (I hear it is a very good representation of the original comic too). That film makes me feel immature and therefore not so old for a couple of hours. The album, Portishead - Roseland NYC [Live] has the opposite effect, it was one of the albums I listened to lots as a student (the first time when I was 18), I still love it, but that was nearly 12 years ago.

When I was sifting through all of the tunes I came across a few songs which I related to heartache, so I asked on twitter what songs other people associated with break ups. They were very varied (I didn't write them down, nor can I remember them), but it seems that a break up song is not necessarily one which is written about the end of a relationship or loneliness. They are songs which remind people of the moment, this means they can be happy songs, or the classic "our song", how to ruin a perfectly good romantic song, make it "our song" and then split up. I did manage to find the cheesiest heartbreak song ever (I do love it but ssshhh don't tell anyone).


They weren't all sad songs on my little musical adventure (although when trying to find relaxing music a lot of them were a bit depressing). I did find this...


And, bang! I'm a teenager again, when the only TV I watch is MTV, who endlessly play this and this...


They were fun times of teenage angst and bad dress sense, but weren't things simple when you were younger? No? Actually you are right, probably not, there were hormones and stuff around then. At least as you get older the problems are not chemical (well for most of us) but rather everyone else in the world but you.

Anyway, as you can see I was very productive on my time off, taking a well earned trip down memory lane. I do recommend you do the same, but beware, some songs will just creep up on you and make you feel old/sad/tearful/immature... you have been warned.

(The links are all from spotify, if you don't have it, get it or search youtube for the tracks if you want to hear them).

No comments:

Post a Comment