Sunday 30 May 2010

Sayings I won’t say

I know it is being pedantic but I have realised particularly in the last few months that there are a number of sayings and phrases commonly used that I have decided I cannot use anymore. This is not as easy as it sounds, they are on the tip of my tongue. But I have a rationale so I am trying to teach myself to not use them. I will go through them and explain why.

Good Luck

I cannot believe in luck, it is to me illogical. I don’t believe in the concept of fate, that our lives are pre-determined by some greater being/cosmic force, so I cannot believe in luck for the same reasons. I cannot use good or bad luck as excuses for things that have or haven’t happened, to me things happen because people make them happen and a series of consequences. Yet every day I see someone wish someone or me luck. My problem with this one is that I want to pass on the sentiment used by saying “Good luck” but I now refuse to use those words. It has become “I hope it goes well” but it does seem to lack the oomph that good luck has. So any suggestions for rephrasing that saying would be gratefully accepted.

Touch Wood

This one is also illogical and can be applied to all such sayings, yet I still find I have to stop myself from doing it. Let’s be honest unless you believe in some kind of luck fairy or magic wood monster, then touching wood does absolutely nothing. I don’t even know where the saying came from (and am too lazy/not interested to google it). Even as recently as this week I have found myself going to do it, a creature of habit I guess. But yet again saying “Yeah I hope so.” seems to have less impact as the act of saying and actually touching wood. But I think this is due to how common the sayings are.

God

“God knows.” “Thank God.” You get the message. Sayings with God in them. Now I realise that many people I chat with online use them out if habit, but the pedant in me cringes when I know they are atheists. They don’t “Thank God” or care/believe that “God knows”, they don’t even believe he/she/it exists, neither do I. But I know it is that they are used in every day language, people use such sayings for their implied meanings not their literal ones. I know it is a little ridiculous that it has come my bugbear, but it has. I don’t point it out to people when they use them, but I do have an grumble to myself.

Go to Hell

This one needs little explanation. As an atheist I do not believe in heaven or hell, so how can I want to tell someone to go to an imaginary place? I know it is the idea behind the saying that is implied “Go to some horrific torturous place where you will burn for eternity”, but if I were being logical and true to my believes I should say just that, for this one I do find that “Fuck off” replaces it quite nicely. And if I am in a social situation where fuck off is inappropriate, then I shouldn’t really be telling them to go to hell either, as it could also be judged as a little rude.

As sure as eggs is eggs

“Is” surely you mean “are”? Yes my pedantry knows no bounds. This one I don’t like just because the grammar sounds and feels wrong. “Eggs” is a plural so surely “are” should be used? I agree with the sentiment behind the saying it is based in logic, and yes I know that it is a jocular misquotation, but it irritates me.

I know there are many more sayings yo which I apply this logic, but they are difficult to think of when I haven’t seen them. I am not judging anyone who does use these sayings, merely pointing out that they are to me, illogical. I am slowly teaching myself to not use them, although it is not easy they are, as I said before, on the tip of the tongue just waiting for use. I’m not sure it makes me a better critical thinker at all to actually consider the meaning of what I am saying before I say it. But it is a habit I have got into. Please feel free to add any sayings you can’t stand in the comments section and of course tell me your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for reading.

10 comments:

  1. I can understand your point here and agree in theory with all your arguments against using the words....that said, I enjoy 'taking god's name in vain' as it were (although I won't give him a capital letter) saying things like 'thank god', 'Jesus' and a personal favourite 'Crikey Moses'! For some reason the irony of using these expressions when I don't believe the religious significance of any of them amuses me.

    I think everyone has certain sayings that annoy them, for what ever reason - for example I know someone who always insists on calling Glasgow 'Glasvegas' and it just irritates me.

    Anyway, good luck with your quest (and yes - that good luck was intentional :-p)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 30, 2010

    Haha! I stopped myself from saying 'touch wood' for exactly the same reason yesterday. Nice to know other people think the things I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose though God knows or thank god are considered more polite than say, replacing god with fuck.
    Good points though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 30, 2010

    Interesting points.

    I tend to use "Good Luck" as I really have no other way of giving someone a quick encouraging message. Better that than what a teacher told us before our exams: "I don't do luck, but you get what you deserve". Lovely sentiment, that. :|

    The saying that annoys me the most is "believe you me". Easy to say, but makes no sense at all when you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with Sarah on this one. I know saying "touch wood" won't do anything and i'm not superstitious, but it's just habit. I also use "good luck" and "oh my god" frequently.

    I don't think sayings are to be taken seriously - they're used instead of long-winded sentences which basically mean the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 30, 2010

    I can't say I've ever used the eggs one, or Go to Hell but I will wish people luck, for the sentiment rather than applying that there is such a thing. Touch wood I suppose is habit and I've not really considered that one before.
    I have to fully agree with you on the god thing though. I've felt that, with no beliefs in god, I shouldn't be using that terminology and I do think "how could I say this differently". More often than not I don't say anything or I ahve an alternative "thankfully", "hopefully", "for crying out loud", "for fuck's sake" & one instilled into my by my Gran "thank goodness". I have observed however, that many atheists still use the god sayings so I haven't felt too wrong or out of place if I do use one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try not to say touch wood, and good luck and say "hopefully" instead. It's hard not to say "god" or "lord" or "jesus' fuck's sake" although I do often think of how to word things differently. I think in the past, taking the god's name in vain had the same impact as a swear today, so it's hard not to replace it with a swear in polite company. Even "pete's sake" refers to saint peter. "goodness" would work i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say a few of those not because I'm superstitious or believe in god but more out of habit as Simone said. It is actually harder to try not to say things I barely notice myself saying than to try to give up - a bit lazy of me eh?

    That said there are certain words that I know I overuse and if I can catch myself I do try to find an alternative but a lot of these words are 'fillers' and convey no 'real' meaning so again it is pretty difficult to notice them.

    E.g. Exactly - a good Scouse one that!
    Bizarre - just a habit
    Random or Surreal when it is clearly neither...again a cultural habit I've picked up but find annoying or at least distracting because I find myself thinking "but is it really?" and by the time I've analysed that I've forgotten what I was trying to say or listen to anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My apologies - after the first paragraph I went off at a tangent there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nic, I'm the same for all those sayings, except the eggs one as I've never heard that before.

    Does it ever bug you when people say "god bless you"? It really bugs me, especially if it's after something like a sneeze. That never made mouch sense to me. I feel like replying, "Hail Satan!"

    ReplyDelete