Sunday 9 May 2010

Twittiquette

I have visited this subject before, but events this week have led me to ponder etiquette on twitter further. I remain unsure of the “rules” of twitter, mainly due to the fact that people use it in very different ways. Some people use it to gather information from many sources, others like myself to chat and connect with people and I would assume that many celebrities use it as a way of promoting their work and getting feedback (and rightly so). So I guess the rules are different depending on why and how you are using it.

I followed suit with a couple of fellow tweeters and unfollowed a few people this week. Not for any negative reason, but just because I felt I was following too many people, which meant if I spent time away from twitter I was struggling to catch up. Unfollowing is difficult. I selected tweeters who had not been very active lately and one or two I thought I hadn’t connected with very much. But the whole business feels a bit rude. I have been unfollowed by a couple of people recently that I have noticed (I tried to send DMs to them) and have to admit there was an initial sting. Why would someone unfollow me? What have I done? Am I dull or irritating on twitter? (Possibly)Then I thought about it and realised it does not matter. I have plenty of followers and it is not about numbers, it is for me, about connections, so as long as I can still chat to those people it does not matter that they unfollowed me, they may also want to clear their feed a little (I do tweet a lot). So long as I haven’t been blocked, then I assume I have caused no offence. I have had conversations with a couple of tweeters that I have met who have honestly said they don’t follow me because I tweet a lot, but they will from time to time check my feed and happily chat to me if I send a @ reply. Fair enough.

I have considered unfollowing a few more people but haven’t for fear of causing offence for exactly the reasons people have unfollowed me. If people chat a lot it is sometimes too much to catch up on. A solution would be to unfollow one or two people in a group so that the connection remains but as you don’t see all of the conversations unless you follow both parties, so your feed would not be as busy. However, how do you choose without causing offence? But I also want to remain involved in some conversations and wonder if I will miss a trick if I don’t always follow everyone in those groups. Being nosey has consequences, it means I have to see all the conversations I am not so interested in or don’t have time to read just to be able to get involved in the ones I am.

To me facebook makes it clear, if someone removes me as a friend on there it sends a clear message. I have removed people who added me because we went to school together, but then did not ever chat or get in touch, what is the point? But as facebook is not like twitter as it is updated with such frequency that it is easier to manage to have more “friends” on there and keep up with it, plus I often only go on to look what one or two individuals have been up to or read blogs. Twitter is not the same you don’t actually remove the person fully unless you block them.

Twitter is a social networking tool and as I have said before I have made new friends from it. In getting to know people online I also use messenger, facebook and email with various (but not all) tweeters (usually the ones I have met face to face). The people I have got to know better tend to use email or messenger for more personal chats. I don’t tend to put really personal information on twitter (which I have explained in previous blogs). So I don’t think it is necessarily a bad thing to unfollow someone you are still friends with if you have other ways of staying in touch. You can still have conversations on twitter (so long as the person you unfollow understands and continues to follow you, or if you just regularly check each other’s feed). I would unfollow celebrities and comedians if I was not amused or interested by them, but sometimes there is an ulterior motive, such as that they may give me information about gigs etc. With non celebs it is a much harder choice to make.

I think I can manage my current level for now, but if I struggle again I may have to reconsider who I follow. I am curious to know other people’s thoughts on unfollowing people. Does it feel personal? Does it matter if you are still in touch in other places like facebook, forums, messenger and via email?

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 09, 2010

    Like you say, if they follow you, they can still keep in touch with you. I unfollow people all the time, people I don't converse with generally. I block a lot as well. Anyone that I don't know where they've appeared from. You can generally tell the podophiles, the feeters and the Watsonians from the names they use on the forums/podcast - they can stay if they make contact, but if not - Bye bye to them too. i guess I'm just ruthless. I don't actually "know" these people so I don't see how if should offend any lurkers who don't make contacts. You can follow me if I know where you're from but if you don't tweet me, don't expoect me to follow you. Like I said, ruthless

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting business, I tend to flick around who i follow with a "core" of people who are permanantly interesting or who I find interesting. I'm aware people quite often unfollow me because I tweet quite a bit, (although interestingly looking at something my friend Lauren set up it's mostly replies, I only send about 8-10 tweets a day that aren't replies). So I can understand it but I still agree it makes you feel a bit, hurt. Only briefly and it makes sense but still.
    I don't know, very confusing. I choose just to try and keep up, and when I've been away for any length of time I use my catch up list, which has about 20 people on it I find funny or useful tweet wise to skim through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I regularly unfollow people, especially if I've got them in lists (lots of feeters and watsonians and so on) i don't mind if people unfollow me (i usually don't notice) because i'm under no illusions that i am the most vibrant of tweeters, especially lately when i've not tweeted a lot. i think i'd only be hurt if someone in a group of about...oh...50 people unfollowed me.

    ReplyDelete